Friday, June 17, 2011

Umpires

Psalm 119: 137-144

137 Righteous are You, O LORD,
And upright are Your judgments.
138 You have commanded Your testimonies in righteousness
And exceeding faithfulness.
139 My zeal has consumed me,
Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
140 Your word is very pure,
Therefore Your servant loves it.
141 I am small and despised,
Yet I do not forget Your precepts.
142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
And Your law is truth.
143 Trouble and anguish have come upon me,
Yet Your commandments are my delight.
144 Your testimonies are righteous forever;
Give me understanding that I may live. 


As I was growing up, I spent a lot of time with my dad.  I went to the bowling alley with him, tagged along when he went to the store, running errands, and to the ball park to watch him umpire.  When I looked at these verses from Psalm 119, it reminded me of an umpire.  An umpire is the person in charge, sets the tone of the game.  The umpire's word is law in the game.  You better obey his rules. Your game may not go any easier, but you will get through it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment