Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Son

Pledge to the Bible
I pledge alliegiance to the Bible, God's holy word. A lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path, it's words will I hid in my heart that I may not sin against God.

As I was preparing for this devotion, I read Psalm 119:105-112, whih begins with 'Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light to my path (Psalm 119:105). My son was standing there when I started reading and stated that that was the exact verse he read in Sunday School this morning. I asked him what he got out of the verse. He said that "God's word will lead me in the right direction (my paraphrase). I know he doesn't always remember that. But I hope it is coming more and more apparent that it is true.

This kid has had a major impact on me. I had a lot of boy cousins around, but not a lot of experience withliving among them, you know, in the same house, 24-7. When he was born, my first thought was, What am I going to do with a boy. Well, it didn't take long for him to let me know. He has always been quick-witted, quick smiling, and quick with the comebacks. He told his first joke at a year old. He has had us all in stitches (for the most part) his whole life. We tease him about how he use to hit his head up against the wall and that is why he is as he is. But this son, has made me more cautious of how boys perceive girls, how important a Christian father is, and how it is hard for me not to love him. He takes words, turns them around and figures out how to make the most of them. I pray everyday for him, that his actions will reflect that of God, and that of love. I pray that he will grow up to know that God's word is a lamp for his feat and a light to his path, where ever he may go.

No comments:

Post a Comment