Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Tale of Two Uncles

Robert Rainey and Mike Kinsworthy

Psalm 119:129
Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul observes them.


Today, I'm going to talk about two opposite uncles.  First, there is my dad's other brother, Bob.  Bob is a wonderful Christian man who has a trait that amuses almost everyone.  He can tell a tale.  Most of his tales are fiction with just enough fact in them to confuse people.  As a child, I never knew whether to believe him or not.  I just knew that he was so very funny and made my dad laugh a lot.  I also knew that he loved God and his family.

The other uncle was just the opposite.  My Uncle Mike, was a man of very few words.  You knew he loved his family, his church and his friends, but not because he told everyone.  He was there to support when ever he could.  He was the big man, standing back observing everything quietly.  My Aunt Lexie, his wife, would tell us things he would say, but I never once heard a cross word or a complaint from him. 

From each of these men, I have learned that sometimes I need to just be quiet and observe in the background, watching life go on.  Other times, I need to be out in the front talking, entertaining, spreading the word of Christ's love.  Thanks to each of these men as they showed all those around them how much love there really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment