Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chester L Rainey

Chester L. Rainey

Psalm 119:161b  But my heart stands in awe of Your words.
One person I have not written about this month is my paternal grandfather.  Some people you hide in your heart and never publicly talk about.  He was one that loved me more than I knew when he was alive. Though he lived 2,000 miles away, he had great influence over me.

When I was about 9, they doctors found cancer and took 1/3rd of my grandpa's stomach out.  I understood that because everyone in my dad's family (it seemed at the time) died of cancer.  So when he came in to see us, dad went to the airport and picked him and grandma up.  By the time they got to the house, I had been waiting on pins and needles for them to get there.  I ran out onto the porch to give him a big hug, but he stopped me.  He ripped opened his shirt, pulled up his t-shirt and said, "See this scar?  You can't hug me like that."  Well, that ended my excitement right there.  Today, thinking about it, I understand why he did it, but I just shake my head at him for that.  He must have still had great pain and was trying to save himself.  We chuckle over that today. 

Because I didn't spend a lot of time with him, we made every day we were together count.  Psalm 119:161b is how I felt of Grandpa.  It is also how I feel about my heavenly father, though I talk to him everyday.  This morning, the K-Love DJ Lisa, said she remember something from a sermon from fifteen years ago.  The preacher asked this question.  "What if you drove to work every day with your best friend, but never said a word to him?"  This got me thinking about how much I pray on my way to work.  I pray for my family, for whatever situation I know is happening that day, for what is troubling me, and I feel better by the time I get to work.  Who do you stand in awe of?  Who do you not share about because it's all you have or that special?

No comments:

Post a Comment