Friday, April 30, 2010

Prayer for our Teens

Today, I drove Allie and Austin to school.  No big deal, but I am glad I did.  As we drove up the long, upwards drive to the school, I noticed that there were these little yellow flags lining both sides of the driveway.   Austin and Allie both told me that each of the small flags represents one of the 480 plus people who died in a drunk driving accident last year during Ohio's prom season.

This weekend is Lebanon and Monroe's prom, and a bunch more.  The last two days at Monroe have been somber.  I got a text from Allie saying several people she knows died! On Wednesday, the Grim Reaper visited the school and went in to classrooms and had people follow them.  Those chosen, were to be silent throughout the day.  Each participant that was killed, received a black t-shirt that told on the back how they died.  This has been a lot of the topic of conversation at my house.

Yesterday, there was a massive vehicle pile-up to simulate what could happen to those who get behind the wheel drunk. Then a gathering in the gym, where the "dead" were laying.  I think a lot of it hit home to at least Allie and Austin.  All through school they are taught that excessive drinking is wrong, yet it doesn't change the fact that a lot of them do participate.  I am sure that home life, peer pressure and such plays a huge role in this.

Today, let's pray for all the teens of America.  Let's pray that they will make the right choices and that they will have a safe and fun prom.  Let's keep them all in our hearts and minds today as they prepare for their parties and that next year there will be fewer flags lining school drives.

Psalm 71:1-7


In You, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
         Let me never be ashamed.
    2In Your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;
         Incline Your ear to me and save me.
    3Be to me a rock of habitation to which I may continually come;
         You have given commandment to save me,
         For You are my rock and my fortress.
    4Rescue me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked,
         Out of the grasp of the wrongdoer and ruthless man,
    5For You are my hope;
         O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth.
    6By You I have been sustained from my birth;
         You are He who took me from my mother's womb;
         My praise is continually of You.
    7I have become a marvel to many,
         For You are my strong refuge.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's impressive that the school goes to such lengths to try to get the students to realize the possible effects of what could happen while drunk driving but so sad that it's so prevelant that they need to do it. Sounds like it's been a real teaching/learning opportunity for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO good to hear! I am an advisor at our HS for a group of kids that want to do the "right" thing and make good, healthy choices. The group was started 10 years ago by myself, the school psychologist and my daughter. At the time we wanted to recognize the kids that were doing positive things and build on that. We now have over 80 members. Not bad for a small school where the average graduating class is 65.
    I applaud all and any people who help kids make healthy decisions, and am so touched by those like you who keep them in their prayers.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete