Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Be a Kid again!

Sunday evening, our church brought our service to Mason Christian Village.  There were a lot of people in attendance.  Our church family, as well as those who live in the village.  Several things happened during this service.

During the prayer time, the leader mentioned several people to pray for.  He gave a short testimony about a young boy that was mentioned by someone every week.  He also mentioned about someone who had passed who every week asked for prayer for our men and women in the military and the leaders of our nation.  He then opened up the floor for requests.  As we were sitting there, the leader mentioned Helen Rainey had asked for prayer for her daughter or daughter-in-law.  Of course, the minute her name was mentioned, my head snapped up to attention.  I looked over at my mom, who wasn't sure what to think either.  It had to be a relative.  There are more Rainey's than you can shake a stick at in this neck of the woods.  Come to find out after service, that Helen was married to one of Dad's cousins.  Dad's grandfather was a twin, and this was the twin's grandson's wife (I think that is it).  But it was unexpected and nice for dad and mom to re-acquaint themselves with Helen.
As I was watching some of the people come in to the service, one woman struck me.  I want to call her, little, but she wasn't really.  What struck me about her was that she carried a doll.  A porcelain doll.  She had her arms around it and it was something that was not distracting, I just noticed it.  I didn't see her again.  But her image stuck with me.  I think because our Mother-Daughter Banquet Theme this year centers around dolls.  That image puts in to play how as children we are trusting, playing with our dolls, and as we grow up, we put away what we think are childish things.  But when we have children of our own, we are back to playing with little dolls, as we dress our babies, and then later when our children are playing with their own dolls.  By the time we are old and ready to rest, I think most of us don't sit and play with dolls, but that the image of being like children again rests on our minds.  To be child like is something we can all aspire to now.  To not think about it, but just accept things for how they are or should be is hard when you grow up and learn to think about the consequences or what others will think.

Mark 10:13 - 16

And they were bringing children to Him so that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw this, He was indignant and said to them, "Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them; for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
"Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."
And He took them in His arms and began blessing them, laying His hands on them.

When I think of the last verse, ...He took them in His arms..., I think of the lady that brought the doll to the service.  She was careful and tender, just like I imagine Jesus was with those children.  I am sure he looked at them and the children felt safe and loved.  The way we all need to let ourselves be in our relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment