Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Psalm 42:1

Today is April 21, 2010.  I decided to look up a passage, so I typed in Psalm 42:1.  Here is what that is.

  1As the deer pants for the water brooks,
         So my soul pants for You, O God. 

Isn't that strange?  I honestly didn't know what to expect, but what a wonderful verse!  I love the song that was made from this psalm.  This verse always make me think of spring.  I think because of the warmer weather, when it is easiest for most of us to become thirsty.  We sweat as we work outside in the yard, and then we go get a drink to quench that desire.
During Dad's days of treatment, the radiation killed his saliva glands.  He has none.  His mouth is always dry and he has to have water with him constantly.  The doctor told him that if he goes eight or more hours without liquid, he would be in serious jeopardy.  Dad always has the metal coffee cup or a bottle of water with him.  He prefers ice water, and almost always asks someone to fill his cup with ice and water.  I scares me sometimes when I think about how close Dad could be to dehydrating.  But, there are so many people around him that will make sure he is taken care of.  

This verse is a good picture.  I see a young doe, down by a stream, dropping her head to take a drink of the cool water.  I see my spirit, delving into the Word, getting another glimpse of what God has for me to learn today.  That is how I see reading the Bible.  Each day that I read, I feel God has something for me to take from that reading.  Sometimes it is private and something I need for me.  Sometimes it is something for me to teach my kids or talk over with a friend.  But each time I read, I know I want more.  

Here are the words to the praise song that I love to sing.

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after Thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee

(Chorus)
You alone are my strength, my shield 
To You alone may my spirit yield 
You alone are my heart's desire 
And I long to worship Thee 

You're my friend and You are my brother
Even though You are a king
I love You more than any other
So much more than anything   

I want You more than gold or silver 
Only You can satisfy 
You alone are the real joy giver
And the apple of my eye 

2 comments: