Thursday, April 8, 2010

Free To Be Us

I am a little excited this morning.  I bought a new refrigerator.  But, it was damaged.  There is a little bitty dent in the side of it, so they took a chunk of dollars off of it and made me a deal.  I am happy.  I don't get it until next Friday, but I am excited.

It got me thinking about being new, and being damaged.  When we hear the gospel, and our hearts are ready to accept it, we come to Christ not new, but damaged.  Satan had battered and beat us to a point that we are unrecognizable.  We have done, said, been all the things that are ugly and gross.  We are ashamed and embarrassed.  But, when that moment of truth hits, the light bulb comes on and we realize we can change and be changed.

Christ wants us to bring the dents and broken pieces of our lives to him.  He loves that he can make us perfect in God's eyes.  He covers us with his blood because he, the perfect lamb, died on Calvary.  He makes us new in him.   1Peter 4:8  says, "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."    Colossians 1:  19-20  says "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."

I love the image of being dented and torn.  There is a song sung by Francesca Battistelli called Free To Be MeThe chorus is...

‘Cause I got a couple dents in my fender
Got a couple rips in my jeans
Try to fit the pieces together
But perfection is my enemy
On my own I'm so clumsy
But on Your shoulders I can see
I'm free to be me

No comments:

Post a Comment