Monday, April 5, 2010

Go and Tell

Christ is resurrected!  I loved that yesterday dawned bright and sunny. That kind of weather always makes me imagine what the morning must have been like when the women went to put the spices on the body of Christ.  I can just imagine the grass wet with dew, the flowers just barely opening their buds and the shadows still long.  The sky may have been  pink, yellow and orange with clouds on the horizon, fluffy and white.  As the ladies came down the pathway, they were wrapped up in their shawls, keeping comfortable from the cool air.  That is how I have played it in my mind's eye on that Resurrection morning.

The ladies stopped in their tracks at the sight of the tomb unsealed, and the man in brilliant white in front of them.  I am sure they put their hands to shade their eyes from his light. They must have been frightened, until he spoke.  Then as the realization dawned on them of what he was saying, their hearts leaped in a mixture of fear and joy.  Christ was what?  Wait, this can't be true.  I don't understand, how can this be?  I can't even imagine what was going through their minds. 

But to come to the garden in the peace of  the morning and then chaos that developed, it was probably like a bad dream at first.  But then it turned into a joyful celebration.  When Mary saw Christ and finally recognized him, what exuberance she must have felt.  I know she ran to tell the disciples that she had seen him and what he said to her.  That is not something you would want to keep to yourself.  So now that we have celebrated Resurrection Day, I pray that there is someone you want to run and tell that He is alive!

John 20:13-18

 13And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my LORD, and I know not where they have laid him.
 14And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.
 15Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.
 16Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
 17Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
 18Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the LORD, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

No comments:

Post a Comment