Monday, April 12, 2010

Use Your Gifts

My kids have a new saying... "Would you like a side of Epic with that Fail?"  Every time things do not go the way they think they should, no matter how big or small a deal, they say "Epic Fail".  There is even a website dedicated to this called...Epic Fail.com.  It has all sorts of pictures and videos of people trying but failing at things.  Some are funny, but some are horribly wrong and just sad.

I tell you this because I was reminded of this yesterday during the sermon at church.  Our minister gave a message on how to be a failure.    Actually it was a lesson in learning from the mistakes of others and what we can do to succeed.  What are you a success in?  I think this is a better question to ask than what have you failed at.  The answer will be a) more uplifting and b) probably not as long.  I usually hate tooting my own horn, so to speak.  I don't think I am very good at most things.  I know I am good at baking, singing, and reading, but so are a lot of people.  I am not good at many more things.  I am not looking for encouragement here.  I look at others and see what they are good at.  Many of you would deny what you are good at.  Most of us do not think of ourselves in a really positive way. 

Christianity gives each of us the opportunity to encourage others in what they are good at. 1 Corinthians 12: 4 - 6   There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.   We all have a gift.  I know in the church that mine is singing.  I know that others are playing instruments, teaching, encouraging, visiting, preaching, fixing things around the church, lending a helping hand, etc.  Your gift doesn't have to be better than anyone else's.  In fact, what you believe about how good others are at something, they believe exactly the same as you, only mirrored.  This means that if you believe Tom is better at teaching than you, Tom feels that you are better at it than him.  Don't try to deny it.  There is always someone better, but they think it is you!

So before you go get bent out of shape, the message here is to use your talents.  You might be good at just shaking hands and talking to people.  I know a lot of you can talk and shake hands.  There is an opportunity to use this talent next Sunday evening.  Our evening church service is going over to Mason Christian Village and put on the service.  Won't you come and help us.  You will be blessed and will be a blessing.  And, most of all, using your talents won't make it an Epic Failure.

1 comment:

  1. That fail site always makes me smile.

    I also like the FML one.

    ReplyDelete