Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's on Your Fridge?

Last night, a series of storms worked it's way into the Tri-State.  There were lots of lightning flashes, thunder rolls and rain.  At the beginning of the storms, Allie Timm, Austin and I were in my Edge and the sky lit up with lightning.  The boys when, "Whoa!"  Allie said, "Aww, I wasn't ready."  She likes to think of the lightning as God taking her picture.
It is an interesting thought.  We have all seen the saying that God loves you enough to put a picture of you on his refrigerator.  A lot of us put some of our most prized pictures on there.  My fridge has magnets from past Mother/Daughter Banquets, Home Spun events, items given out by the church, various businesses and they a lot of them are holding something to the front of the refrigerator.  Sometimes we have the church calendar up there, or a reminder of a verse I like, or a big note about something important.  The fridge is a place where everyone goes to more than once a day.  So they see it.  Everyone opens the door, looks inside, but doesn't always like what they see or find.  Sometimes they see exactly what they are looking for.  Sometimes they see something, not knowing it will satisfy them and they try it.  Sometimes they just close the door, still feeling empty.

Just like Christianity.  People seek Jesus to satisfy a need.  Sometimes it is enough, sometimes it leaves them wanting more.  Others look for Jesus, see something interesting and is hooked.  Once in a while, someone doesn't fully get it and leaves, still unsatisfied.  It is all up to you what you find.  No matter what, Christ can satisfy you in a way that even food can not.  The Samaritan woman didn't even know she needed a Savior.  But, when she came face to face with the Lord, she was amazed.  

Now, when I started typing this one, I had know idea where I was going with this.  I thought I was going to tell about needing a new fridge.  But, the Lord, as usual, had better plans.  Look at your Christianity.  Do you need to be satisfied all the time?  When you were a babe in Christ, it was the simple texts that you soaked up like a sponge.  Now as you have grown, so has your understanding of the Word.  Where are you in your walk with Christ?  Are you still that babe or are you growing?  Put a verse on your refrigerator.  Look at it and memorize it.  Let it sink in.  It could be as simple as John 3:16.  It could be the 23rd Psalms.  But just learning one verse usually leads to a few more. 

I love listening to the kid's radio show, "Adventures in Odyssey."  There was a show where there was a storm that blew out a window and hurt one of the main characters.  As he sat there, trying to stay calm and keeping his friend calm, he started repeating Psalms.  When I am down, I try to repeat verses I know.  It helps me feel better sometimes.  It also helps me understand that God is always there.

John 4:13-14

13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." 

No comments:

Post a Comment