Monday, April 26, 2010

Changing It Up A Bit

Welcome and thanks to all the new interested bloggers.  I hope that here at Lifting You Up will be an inspiration to you and that if you feel it's worthy, you will pass this along to others that may need to here this message.

For those who are new, this devotion started as a need to connect with the people my family loves and who loves us.  The need was to help my parents.  My father was diagnosed with throat cancer in February of 2009 and there were so many things happening at once I started email everyone I knew almost every day to give them  updates so they wouldn't call my parents constantly and ask them.  As time went on this grew and now I email almost 90 people Monday through Friday a devotion.  I don't think I am very good at it and sometimes I feel I get lost in the daily grind, but people seem to like what I have to say, so I keep with it.

Last night at evening service, we sang a lot of older hymns we don't sing as much during the morning service.  My dad and I have two songs that we always change the words to to make the song more personal.  Most of you know the first one, Love Lifted Me.  The chorus goes like this...

Love lifted me, love lifted me,
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me.

Love lifted me, love lifted me
When nothing else could help
Love lifted me.

Now, here is our version of the chorus.

John three sixteen, John three sixteen, 
When nothing else could help
John three sixteen.
John three sixteen, John three sixteen,
When nothing else could help
John three sixteen.

How so very true this change is.  When nothing else helps you in life, you can remember that "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."  How many times have I said that verse just when I felt like no one loved me or a situation was hopeless?  That someday, because I do believe in Jesus and accepted him as my Personal Savior, I will not perish, but have eternal Life.  Praise the Lord!
The second song was one we sang last night...Have You Been To Jesus (not quite sure that is the title, but that is the first line of the song).  This chorus goes like this.

Are you washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless are they white as snow?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
I think in our hymnal there are three verses for this song.  On the last verse we change it to say this.
 
 
I am washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb.
My garments are spotless, they are white as snow.
I am washed in the blood of the Lamb.

I like to make that proclamation to everyone that I am a bonafide, soul-cleaned sinner and I want to tell you all about it.  So, do you have a song that you change the words to make more personal to your life?  Let me know. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you found me on FF. I will be following you back!
    Love the very same movies etc... that you had listed--who couldn't?
    When I am troubled and in prayer, the Lord answers me through song. He plants a song in my head and if I'm listening it leads me on the right path.
    The one he often sends me is..."I Cast All My Cares Upon You"...I lay all of my burdens down at your feet, and anytime that I don't know, what to do. I will cast all my cares upon you.:)
    I look foward to keeping in touch. Peggy

    ReplyDelete