Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teach Your Children Well

I am tentative.  Saturday, Allie passed and received a temporary driving permit.  It is funny because the question I get asked most is, do you feel old now that your daughter has her permit?  You know, I am a realist in many ways.  I am sad when someone passes away, but I don't dwell too much on it because I know that it is a fact of life, the way God set life up for us.  In my mind, I know that someday I will see them again.  I also realize that kids grow up.  You can't stop them, and I have loved seeing my kids grow into the young people they are becoming.  So the answer to the question is no, I am not feeling old.  That doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is this...can I teach her the best driving methods?  Can I pass on to her the knowledge I have and she use it to the best of her ability?  I never thought of myself as a good teacher.  I am horrible in math; Timm goes to Allie for help.  I am very much the laid back parent in a lot of ways.  I ask the kids to do chores.  I give them a time limit to get it done.  If it isn't done, there are consequences.  I have shown and told them what I want them to do, but rarely show them.  I want them to do it their way.  They each learn so differently.  Allie wants to watch a while before she jumps in and tries.  Timm wants you to specifically tell him.  Each time they forget something or can not figure out how something needs to be done, like when they are preparing a meal, they ask questions and I give them feedback.

Last week, I asked Allie to go through all our plastic lids and match them to a container.  If there was not a lid for a container or a container for a lid, get rid of it.  Those accumulate so fast.  She did this.  She also came up with a new way to keep track of them.  It is not the way I would do it, and I may go back to my old way, but we are trying it and she showed some initiative.  So maybe I am doing something right.  Mike has always seemed to be good with teaching and showing the kids how to do things.  His patience maybe shorter than mine, and trying to understand teenage girls is impossible for him, but he does have his moments to shine.  In fact, Allie wants him to take her driving so she can see if he would be okay to drive with.

So the question today is, are we teaching our children or at least providing our children with the right teachings and opportunities to learn about God, Jesus, life and all that is needed?  I just pray that Mike and I are doing just that for them.

Psalm 78:1-4

Listen, O my people, to my instruction;
         Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
    I will open my mouth in a parable;
         I will utter dark sayings of old,
    Which we have heard and known,
         And our fathers have told us.
    We will not conceal them from their children,
         But tell to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
         And His strength and His wondrous works that He has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment