Friday, September 25, 2009

In His Image

My parents went to Louisville last week to the Southern Gospel Convention. They spent 6 nights watching groups perform and hearing lots of music. I always ask my Mom to get me the newest Greater Vision cd. I love that group and the songs they sing. But this time, my mom brought me back like seven cds. Good grief! Three of them are soundtracks. One I absolutely love. Three are really good and one is a big Greater Vision Christmas cd.

Anyway, one of the cds is of the top ten songs of 2009 in Southern Gospel music. I enjoyed all the songs, but one struck me the most. It is called When God Ran by the Kingsmen. The second verse talks about the prodigal son and how he broke his father's heart when he left. Then it talks about the day he returned and how his dad ran to him, put his head to his chest and hugged him because he had returned. The singer says that it was the only time he saw his father run. The chorus talks about how when we return to God, he runs to us, hugs us and holds us close. How he is so happy we are back in his arms. Isn't that the best image of God? That he gets so happy to see us come back that he will run to us?

I never thought of him as really having legs, you know? But that song just made me realize that we are made in his image and that means he has arms, legs, a face and he is capable of so much more than we ever think about with our limited knowledge.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

No comments:

Post a Comment