Thursday, September 17, 2009

Family Time

This morning, on my way to work, the gas light came on on my dashboard. I am not surprised by this. I knew I would need gas soon, but not on my way to work. Well, I decided I would stop and get gas. So I pulled in to Ameri-Stop and reached for my wallet. Uh-it's not there! Man! I couldn't get gas! I left my wallet at home.

Let's see, I took it out of my purse to get the kids lunch money. Oh, it's still on the desk. Well, let's pray I have enough gas to get me home & to the closest gas station. Running out of gas isn't the worst thing that can happen. But not getting your tank filled up is. I am not talking about your vehicle's gas tank. I am talking about your soul.

Every week, we know of people who seem to be letting things get in the way of a service. Right now, I am guilty of this. I am the kind of person who has always believed that anytime the church doors are open, I should be there. But I am also learning that with a family, you need to make time for them. This is why I am not as into Sunday evenings or Wednesday Bible Study. I have tried to do my laundry on other days of the week, but Sunday seems to be the best day for us. And with football season, all the Junior High games, except maybe 1 is on Wednesday. Luckily they are early, 5 PM, and I am the type of parent who wants to be there to support my kids in all they do. But the next two Wednesdays are away games. I can not get there before the game is over, so Mike will have to pick up the slack when he can. It's hard, but thank goodness for texting!

So my original point to all this is that you have to find ways to fill your soul-tank. I have choir practice and I have Sunday morning church and Sunday School. I also have my own study of the Word and this devotion. Both help me when I have had a bad day. I know in a few years that I will be back to helping out when I can and going to church on Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings. But for now, justified or not, I am wanting to raise my children to know I love them and support them. They know God and that He is the most important person in their lives. He isn't coming second or last because we pray, we talk about Him, and I try to involve them in as much as they can handle. Allie is going to be helping out with the Children's drama again this year and Timm is going to the Junior High Retreat in a few weeks. They go to Sunday school and help me out with choir and whatever else they can be involved in.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Luke 18:17 "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I try to get as much done on Friday night, when the football games are away or Saturdays so I can devote Sundays to church and family. It's hard to find time for the boys but I have to remind my self all the time that the dishes will still be there and the laundry will still need to be done but they won't be little forever!

    ReplyDelete