Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Changing of the Season

Today, at 5:18 PM, Summer is officially over and Autumn takes it's place. Around here it's been hard to distingush between the two as of late. The evenings have been crisp and cool and the days have been warm and even humid. Change is in the air. I am ready to go to an orchard and get some fresh apples, cider, and walk around a pumpkin patch. I have seen people already put out pumpkins and scarecrows as decorations. For us, we like to have a fire in the pit out back most weekend nights. The kids like inviting their friends over to roast hot dogs and marshmallows for smores.

Fall is my second favorite season. When Mike and I were planning our wedding, he agreed that a winter wedding would be fine. When October came around that year, I told him that we may have already been married if he hadn't agreed to December. He was a little upset because had he known that, he would have pushed for an Autumn wedding. But that was almost 19 years ago!

Change in our lives is good. I married a guy who isn't really into changing his routine too much. He likes to make a plan and stick with it. What fun is that? Routines are good and I love to have the kids on a good schedule. But to deviate from that now and again makes life interesting. If we don't change, then how are we to grow? Just like the leaves change on the trees, the weather subtly begins to cool, and the light fades quicker from day to night, we need to change. Change our thinking, our habits, and turn toward things more eternal and not present. God wants us to fix our eyes on the prize of heaven, not the here and now. The world will give you your prize right now if you want. God makes us wait. God wants us to come to make choices about him for ourselves. He wants us to know that even though He will never change, we can change. No matter what your lifestyle is, how much sin and sadness is there, you can change. You can make that choice to change your season from worldy to eternal.

Daniel 2: 19b-23 "Then Daniel praised the God of heaven 20 and said:
"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.

21 He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.

22 He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.

23 I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers:
You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king."

1 comment:

  1. I'm so ready to put out my fall decorations. As R1 ones it looks like a pumpkin patch exploded in my living room!

    ReplyDelete