Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Willing God's Will June 10, 2009

Sunday, Tim Hill asked the church to pray for God’s will to be done and lead him in the way he needs to go. He joked, sort of, that I, especially need to be wary of that for him! I was a little offended at that, because he was pointing out my sin, to everyone. He was joking, but in a sense he is right. You see, Tim hasn’t been with us very long, but he has become a good friend to me. I don’t want him to leave. But I do realize that I am not in control of this situation. God is. Which brings me to my point, do we really mean we want God’s will to lead us? Do we really want that or do we want to tell God where we should be led?

I will admit that I am a selfish person. I cry when someone dies because I want them here with me, not having a glorified time with God. I get mad when people don’t think about me. I try and do things myself and not use anyone to help. I am selfish. But I am working on that. It’s not easy, but I am trying. I ask God to lead those I pray for to where He wants them, for their situations to be under His control, and that I can support them no matter what.

It is easy for us to think that we have all the answers. We know what is best for everyone. We can tell everyone what to do and life will be grand. But that usually is not the case, is it? Usually our way is filled with sin, sorrow and suffering. God knows better and tells us how we can know his will.

God’s will is in the Bible. READ! “As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.” Psalm 18:30 It’s not that difficult if you get a translation that you can read. There are some really helpful versions. Next, pray and ask God what His will is. Jesus taught us to pray like this: "Pray, then, in this way: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. “ Matthew 6:9 – 10. Also ask for guidance from a more seasoned Christian, an elder, or the minister. “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed” Proverbs 15:22.

Hopefully we can all use these suggestions to help us find God’s will, whatever it may be for the present and the future. May God lift you up and may you pray for me and for Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment