Tuesday, July 21, 2009

44 Years and Holding Strong - June 11, 2009

Today marks the forty-fourth year of my parents life together. There have been many happy times, some sorrow and some times that would have shaken the faith of anyone. There were even predictions before and early on in their marriage that they would never last. Thank goodness those people were wrong!

Marriage is not something to be taken lightly. As most of us know it takes hard work on the part of both spouses. For some couples, doesn’t seem to be effortless? Just watching them you get the sense that they are meant for each other and that they are both giving, caring, and just wonderful? I think each of us know couples like that. I think I pray that no one thinks that of my marriage! I am the first to say that Mike and I love each other, but some days it is not as much fun as others. I know Mom and Dad think that too. I am here to tell you that they are both humans, they love each other more than anything, but that they definitely are not perfect and make messes of each other’s lives as well as their own. The plus is that they have a God who has taught them to love, forgive and repent. But more than that, I believe that God put them together to help each other and help those whose lives they have touched.

How many of you have had some kind of problem and came to both of them for advice. How often do you say just one of their names without the other? I think God looks at these two and smiles when he sees them. They are strong when they need to be, compassionate when it is called for and they let you know when you are out of God’s teaching. They love each and every one of us.

As a child, they were good at keeping their martial differences away from me. But they also didn’t hide the fact that it is one of the hardest things you will encounter. Living with someone else who was raised with a different set of rules, beliefs and morals sometimes make marriage a challenge. Making your own new family rules takes a lot of time. Mike and I are still doing that. Our kids have made new dynamics in that part of our marriage.

The most important words for marriage are trust, faithfulness and love. God does speak on this: Ephesians 5:33 states: “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.“ 1 Corithians 7:3 says…”The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.”

How is your marriage? Will it stand the test of time? Will you be around for your next anniversary with your spouse? I hope and pray each of us are. But remember, you gotta work at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment