Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'll Be Home - July 20, 2009

In his sermon yesterday, Larry Holmes talked about what our purpose for being here is. Most of us have gone through the book, “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren. Larry made reference to this book. If you have not read it, then I urge to you do so. It is insightful and helps put perspective on life.

One thing he said that struck me for some reason was that some people go home to die, but we, as Christians, die to go home. Isn’t that interesting? The one thing throughout Dad’s illness that I have tried to not think about and deal with is the possibility that he may die from this. In fact, someday he will die as will all of us, if the Lord tarries. Larry talked about how his brother had been diagnosed with cancer and three weeks later he was home, in heaven. It was Christmas time and Larry said “We sing ‘I’ll Be Home for Christmas’, but my brother really is having Christmas at home.” What a beautiful thought.

Now, I know my dad is getting his strength back and slowly trying to eat, and his voice, though still gruff is there. But, someday, he won’t be. He’ll be home. I know that it is something that I must think about then, but not now. I will deal with that another time. For now, I will cherish the time we do have. I will sing Christmas songs with him and make sure I am there for him through everything.

“But until then, my heart will go on singing. Until then, with joy I’ll carry on. Until that day my eyes behold that city, Until the day God calls me home.” Ray Price

Revelations 21:4 says “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

No comments:

Post a Comment