Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Listen - July 21, 2009

This week, a lot of our family is at church camp. It has always been a favorite place for me to go. I went there as a child and never got homesick, never had a doubt about being there as a child. As an adult, I knew that I would be there as a counselor. Not really for the kids, but for me. It may sound strange, but I looked forward going there, spending time away from the world of tv, cell phones, computers and such and be able to just commune with God in a natural habitat. It was therapeutic to me to get up early, just as the sun was starting to make it’s appearance over the tall, old trees and hills and read my Bible and devotion and just listen. The birds would chirp to each other, the quietness of the early day would be all around me and the possibility of what lay ahead was before me. I miss that.

I can not remember the last time it was so quiet that I could just listen for God. I get up early and my mind is full of to do lists, family and friends and just busyness. It’s time for me to remember that I am the one who has to stop and listen. God hasn’t stopped talking to me. The routine of the day may get crazy and I may not realize I haven’t stopped until it’s bed time, but I need to stop and listen. Listen for that still small voice inside my heart. Listen for that message that is being sung to me in the breeze.

I try every morning to wake up, take a shower and read my Bible. I have found that when my routine changes, my habit changes. Since changing hours at work and the kids being home from school, it has been hard for me to read. Now that vacation is over and the routine is settling down, I am beginning to pick that back up. The one thing I need every day is a face to face with God. It usually comes in the way of my studying His Word. That more than anything else is what I want and crave.

Lord, help me to always be in your Word and learn all I can about the glorious riches you have in store for me. Help me to be able to stop and listen for you soft, quiet voice in every instance. Thank you for your love and forgiveness. Amen.

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment