Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Pledge Allegiance - July 1, 2009

I was just reading Psalm 119. I did not realize that the Pledge to the Bible had a line taken from this chapter. Psalm 119:11 states, “Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You.” Next week, during Vacation Bible School we will say that pledge and the Pledge to the Christian Flag as much as the Pledge to the American Flag. I love the words to each of those pledges. As a young girl, I learned them and have never forgotten them. To me, they hold a lot of meaning that I try to duplicate.

This week, the pledge to our nation’s flag is going to be recited more often than any other words. Go to http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfc_pledge.html and read about the pledge.
Our pledge may seem mundane and systematic now. We recite the words without really thinking about what we are saying. Take some time this week to think about some of the words in the pledge.

The Pledge to the American Flag
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which is stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The Pledge to the Christian Flag
I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Savior for who’s kingdom it stands. One brotherhood, uniting all Christians in service and in love.

The Pledge to the Holy Bible
I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God’s Holy Word, a lamp until my feet and a light unto my path. It’s words will I hide in my heart that I might not sin against God.

Those are some powerful words. Do you believe them? Do you agree with them? What do those words mean to you? Do you feel united in brotherhood with other Christians? Do you hide the Word in your heart? I hope you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment