Friday, January 29, 2010

Youthful Contentment

This week, our family have had a few firsts. Especially with Allie. Nothing dramatic, nothing major, well, yeah I guess the first one is major in all our lives. Tomorrow, I am going to take Allie to get her temporary license to drive! Uh, maybe it will snow and I can postpone this? No? Well this is a right of passage, isn't it? The other first is one that both Allie and Timm are interested and dreaming of. Allie brought home from school a packet for a class ring. Did you get a class ring? I did. It cost me $186. I remember that because I wanted a gold one and my parents would only pay half of it. I had to come up with the other half. Which brings me to my next question. Doesn't that mean i was older and had a job? I still have that beautiful ring. I can even still wear it. The prices are ridiculous for rings now days, but the settings, engravings and effects are pretty awesome!

The kids were dreaming, I mean, looking at the packet this morning, saying, "I am going to get this stone, and my friend and I want to have our nicknames engraved on the inside." Okay, but who really wants the nickname Stinky forever engraved on something? For clarification, that is Allie's friend's nickname, not Allie's. Her nickname is Dingy, if you didn't know. That's for another time.

So what does all this have to do with a devotion? I honestly am not sure. Maybe it's just a day to ramble for me. I keep thinking of the plans that Allie and Timm are laying out for their futures. The hopes and dreams that make us keep going when there is sadness around us. Maybe this devotion is to show that the youth still have the same dreams that we all had when we were teenagers. A lot of things have not changed in 50+ years. Kids still dream of driving, class rings, graduation, college, getting married...not all that different from when you were there.

Last weekend we saw the movie The Tooth Fairy, starring Dewayne Johnson and Julie Andrews. It told the story of the man who let reality hit him hard and wipe all his hopes and dreams away. He made sure all the people around him (especially kids) know that you can not aim high because there is always someone bigger and better to knock you down. Sad, isn't it? The moral of that story is that it doesn't matter what the other guy does, dream for yourself and be content with where you are and what you have.

Proverbs 13:25 The righteous eat to their hearts' content, but the stomach of the wicked goes hungry.

Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.

Philippians 4:11-13 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment