Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What a Blessing it Could Be

Sunday, seven members of our church went down to the Mt. Healthy Christian Home to put on a service for residents there. I am going to be honest with you. I had a nice time. The people were pleasant and appreciative, the singing was good (if I do say so myself!), and the preaching was very good! There were many in attendance that just love the Lord and the hymns we sang.

It is worrisome that more people do not help out in this area. It is a once a year service that we are asked to put on. I understand that it is not every one's thing, but the seven of us there were so blessed. As my mom and I sang "If Jesus Goes With Me I'll Go Anywhere", this sweet lady with whom I believe was her daughter, sat in her wheelchair and sang the whole song, all three verses! Her daughter was smiling and encouraging her. It was something both Mom and I will remember for a while. Mike and Dad served communion and took up an offering for them. What a privilege it was for us, and a blessing. The people who were there were thankful and as a Christian, we all being a part of God's family, I am glad that I could help out those who just couldn't get out to church.

It is something I think we should encourage more. We should help our homebound people and those feeling poorly. We should try and figure out a way to step out of our comfort zone and show some kindness. Taking a couple hours out of one day a year doesn't seem like a lot, does it? I don't think so. I think we can even take each one that attends the service a little something to show them that we are glad they came out and that we love them.

1 Timothy 5:1 - 5

Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, 2older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity. 3Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. 4But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. 5The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help.

1 Timothy tells us what to do. Let us be faithful in this. Verse 3 and verse 5 really hit home for me. I am not trying to shame anyone. Please don't take that message as what I am saying. I don't always go or want to go to this extra services. Sometimes I am tired, busy, or just want to do something else. This is really just food for thought for all of us. The next time the church asks for us to go sing somewhere, or help take someone a meal, or take someone to an appointment, we should jump at the chance and be willing to serve our fellow man. My heart goes out to those who live there and to those families who take time to visit them. The ministries that could happen, even if it is our seniors going to visit other seniors that are in a retirement home or just not able to get out to church, especially during the winter, what a difference that could make! Not just in their lives, but in yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment