Monday, January 25, 2010

Do You Have Talent?

Yesterday, Larry Peek kinda inspired me. During his meditation, he brought in a lot of song titles and verses to what he was saying. It is a fun way to get your point across and have people actually remember some of what you said.

Larry quoted the chorus from a song the choir is going to do, Then I Met the Master. Tracy looked at me and realized she recognized it and asked me, "Has the choir sang that yet?" I laughed and told her not yet. It is a good song that tells how the singer is no longer the same because of the change that took place when they met Jesus.

When we practiced this song in choir, it reminded me of another song I had heard. It is called The Touch of the Master's Hand. It actually a poem written by Myra Brooks Welch. The poem talks about an old, worn violin that was going up on the auction block, how the auctioneer didn't think it was worth anything until a musician played it. Then everyone wanted to buy it. Because the master had shown them what it could be like, what it was worth. People in the crowd didn't understand why the change had taken place, but the only reply they got was "The touch of the Master's Hand." Isn't that what we all want? We want God to touch us and to open other's eyes to our abilities. But in honesty, is that what it should be? I am sure people think I get up and sing to show off my talent. I don't look at it that way. I look at it that God gave me this talent and if I don't use it correctly, God will take it away. I look at it as a pleasure to sing to God and if someone else appreciates it, then what a blessing! I thank each of you who let me know you appreciate my voice. I hope to keep singing for God and entertaining you.

So I urge each of you to use your talent wisely. Whether it is teaching, singing, fixing things, listening, encouraging, do that. Find a way to praise God for your talent. It doesn't have to be a public display. A lot of my singing is not public. I always seem to have a song on my heart that I will singing in my head, or to myself in the car. Sending someone a note, or doing them a favor will be a wonderful thing.

Psalm 30:11 - 12

11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment