Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Teachings

Proverbs 7:1 - 4

My son, keep my words
And treasure my commandments within you.
2Keep my commandments and live,
And my teaching as the apple of your eye.
3Bind them on your fingers;
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
4Say to wisdom, "You are my sister,"
And call understanding your intimate friend;

Aren't these verses interesting? How do you keep an inanimate thing close to you as your sister or a friend? That was my first reaction to reading this chapter. But, my next thought was, the things you are taught by your parent or in the Bible should not be just words, they should be part of your life, just as your heart beats, your breath; it should be living through you as naturally as tasting or hearing.

I like that you should see them as special (apple of your eye) and that you should remember them (write them on the tablet of your heart). Doing God's will, the right things of every day life should not be something you think about. You should know what it is. I am talking about the common sense things. Some of us realize that others do no have that. When my dad, Allie and I were on our D.C. trip, one of the boys in our group was hyper and crazy. My dad looked at him and asked, "Do you have any common sense?" Tyler answered, "No, I admit I don't." It was funny, but it made us understand why he did what he did. My dad just shakes his head at that memory. Most people without common sense do not even realize they are without it. They need more guidance and help in sorting out the right from the wrong. That is what these verses want. Everyone to listen to their parent, teacher, or elder and keep the teachings close, remembering them until they are like an old faithful companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment