Monday, January 11, 2010

Did You Hear What I Heard?

Update on my dad. Friday he went to the radiation doctor (I think). Doc was not happy because his scales have shown that Dad is down six pounds. He is going for another PET scan on February 2nd. So keep Dad in your prayers.

Yesterday, our preacher had a good message on what was suppose to be El Elyon, God Most High. And it actually was, but that is not what my husband came away with as the important part of the sermon. LOL. Actually the sermon was based in Genesis 14, where Abram (before he was renamed Abraham) went to war and two kings, one from Salem and one from Sodom wanted his help. Well, actually the the one from Salem, Melchizedek, who was a high priest, gave Abram food and drink and blessed him. This made Abram feel good and he gave the high priest ten percent of all he had.

Genesis 14:17 - 24

17Then after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).

18And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.

19He blessed him and said,
"Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
20And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand."
He gave him a tenth of all.

21The king of Sodom said to Abram, "Give the people to me and take the goods for yourself."

22Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have sworn to the LORD God Most High, possessor of heaven and earth,

23that I will not take a thread or a sandal thong or anything that is yours, for fear you would say, 'I have made Abram rich.'

24"I will take nothing except what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their share."

Mike took away from that sermon, that giving a tenth of all you have is an answer to a question he has had for years. Anyway, later in the day, I was telling our preacher that I appreciated his sermon and that Mike took this away from it. He made a comment about not being happy with the sermon. We talked about how sometimes, we critic ourselves and how we need that so we can do better. But what Preacher was wanting to get across to us, was lost and something entirely different was born. God totally works in mysterious ways. He always gives each of us what our heart needs to hear. I bet those of you at church with us took something totally different away from that sermon. Can you tell me what you got out of it? Email me!

1 comment: