Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Therapy for the Blues

When we get down, everything seems to fall apart.  We can not seem to see the silver lining, and we think that no one cares for us.  No matter what we do or say, nothing goes right.  Your pity party grows so big, that the sun can not shine on you.  The black cloud seems to stay over your head and you just want everyone to feel sorry for you.

The author of Psalm 77 seems to have the same problem.  He thinks that God has forgotten him and his people.  But then he decides to talk it out with God.  Interesting.  He appeals to God and reminds God and himself of all that he has done and how great God is.  That seems to perk him up.  It lifts me up too, when I go to God.  Whether I am sad, mad, or confused, talking out my problems with God seem to help.  Sometimes just using this devotion to write things out is therapeutic enough to make me feel better.  These verses seem to be where help for everyone can come.

Psalm 77:10-12

10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
   the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
   yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
   and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”

No comments:

Post a Comment