Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Out of the Water

When I was about twelve or thirteen, my family and my Dad's sister and her two boys went to Armco Park to go swimming in the lake.  Now as most lakes do, it gets progressively deeper the farther out you go.  While we were swimming, I went out where it was almost to my shoulders.  I'd dive under, grab the mud on the bottom and see what I could bring up.  I could do that for hours.  I love being underwater, especially in dark, murky cool water. 

Well, during this time, I came up for air, I hear someone yelling.  I look over to the shoreline and see my Aunt Judy looking past me and starting to run.  I turn around, and I see John's head going under, maybe for the last time.  So I push myself over to where he is, grab him, and lift him out of the water.  He grabs my neck with all his might and I carry him to the sand.  He got in too deep and couldn't swim well enough to get out. 

I was reminded of this incident when I read the first few verses of Psalm 69.
1 Save me, O God,
   for the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in the miry depths,
   where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
   the floods engulf me.
3 I am worn out calling for help;
   my throat is parched. 


When you feel like life is crashing over you like waves, and you can't get your head above the water, God is there.  Verse 29 states this very truth.
 29 But as for me, afflicted and in pain—
   may your salvation, God, protect me. 


 Praise be to God for lifting us out of the waters of despair.  Out of the sin and trouble, he rescues us.

No comments:

Post a Comment