Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Psalm 73

Sometimes it feels like no matter how much I follow God or how much I try and show His love, people who are self-centered and not what I would call a Christian seems to get ahead and prosper in so many ways while I get deeper in debt and feel so unworthy.  Now part of that is my own self confidence, and part of that may be jealousy. I sound all judgy now, don't I?  That's not where I am trying to go with this.  Sometimes it feels like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  Can you tell I just did my taxes? 

Ironically, that is how the psalmist tells it in Psalm 73.

Surely God is good to Israel,
   to those who are pure in heart.
 2 But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
   I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant
   when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. 


But God will deal with them.  They may get ahead here, but where does that count?  In eternity, it is those who obey and follow God.  You do not have to be the one who stands out in the crowd, but you do have to be the one to do what God wants you to do, when He wants you to do it.  If we worry about everyone else in the world and their actions, we do not concentrate on our own actions and how they fall into God's will.  Think about it.  Are you more worried about what your neighbor is doing than what is happening in your own house?  Are you irritated with what the politicians in Washington are saying, and not talking to the council men in your own town?  Is your heart staying with Jesus, or the world?

I hope you are staying faithful to God.  It's not that you can't worry about others.  Just don't worry to distraction.  We need to keep ourselves from sin.  God will take care of the unrighteous just as he takes care of the righteous.  Sometimes it is not for us to understand until later.

16 When I tried to understand all this,
   it troubled me deeply
17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
   then I understood their final destiny.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment