Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Want to Feel the Earth Quake

Psalm 75

3 When the earth and all its people quake,
   it is I who hold its pillars firm.


Most weekday mornings, I get up, shower, put on my work clothes, go make lunches and get the kids up for school.  I turn on the news and listen as I am eating breakfast.  Sometimes I hear what is going on, sometimes I don't.  Like I didn't hear about the Taco Bell "what's-in-the-beef" story.  Allie was telling me all about that.  But this morning, I heard that in Kentucky today, the governor has declared today "National Earthquake Awareness Day", or something like that.  Timm thought it was weird, and we discussed the fault line that the Brent Spence Bridge is on.  As I read verse three, I thought of that little, passing conversation.  I also feel cheated.  Well, not really.  But it seems like that when we have an earthquake here, I am in a car or in California.  I do not ever remember feeling the ground shake.  Back in the 1980's, we had a good shaking.  Mom and Dad were sitting on the front porch of our home.  It is a concrete porch and Dad said it was just like someone took it and started shaking it.  They both turned around to see who or what was doing that.  Me?  I was on my way home from working at Kings Island.  I can't imagine what the earthquake in Haiti was like.  God tells us that he will hold us up.

It's not that I want to shake, rattle, and roll.  I am sure I can find something that will simulate what being in an earthquake is like.  But to have that unsureness under my feet, being that off balance, is something that I want to experience.  I want to feel it because I know no fear in this area.  God will probably laugh at what my face will look like when it starts. But he will hold the pillars in place.  We all have that assurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment