Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Traditions are a part of our lives. A couple of days ago, I asked for your traditions. Here are the two responses I received.

From Tim Hill:
We don't really have anything we do any more. I remember when I was growing up going rabbit or quail hunting with my brother Dick a few times. I was usually the bird dog. I only actually carried a gun one time and missed the only rabbit I got a shot at. I still like watching the parade and the football games, if I can keep my eyes open after eating all that food.

From Lew Rainey:
when i was younger it was a tradition to go rabbit hunting on thanksgiving day as it was always the first day of hunting season.

Well, as I laugh at these, I realize that just as the first pilgrims that celebrated all they had by giving thanks, we still hunt and gather our food. Most of it is done for us and we just prepare it, but it is still the same concept.

As we prepare for the holiday of thanks, here is a reminder of what it is about:

Thanksgiving Day in the United States started as a way of giving thanks to food collected from a good harvest or problems that were fixed. It originated in 1621 and was a religious festival, but is now largely secular. It is now a holiday on the fourth Thursday of November.

So give thanks for everything this weekend. Family, friends, health, food, shelter, and all the blessing that God has bestowed upon you.

Psalms 128:2 You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.

Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

Doxology - Thomas Ken, 1674

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him, all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts;
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment