Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions

What are your Thanksgiving traditions? At the Fox house we don't have too many. We are usually busy cleaning, cooking and baking because 20 people will be showing up soon and expecting food! But one thing that the kids always talk about is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We do sit and watch it. All the big balloons and the dance numbers are just thrilling for us. I can cut celery and onions while watching the parade.

This also marks the time the kids will start making their Christmas lists. Timm keeps telling me what he would like. Which is very nice, but I will never remember it all. If they write it down, then at least I have it on a piece of paper and read it before I lose it!

Every year, I think of things that will be fun to do at Thanksgiving. One year my father gave us a kernel of dried corn and we had to tell something we are thankful for. Two year, my kids had to write a story for school about Thanksgiving. I read them to everyone. It was quite funny both times. I guess our main traditions is Mike cooking the turkey and that we all get together.

One of my favorite traditions is watching the Detroit Lions football team play. They have hosted a football game every year since 1934. I just read about that. I know, that is a strange fact, but there is one you can impress your husband or friends with.

What are your Thanksgiving traditions? Is there a special something you do or share? Let me know. I want to get a list and share them on Wednesday.

"Let us remember that, as much has been given us, much will be expected from us, and that true homage comes from the heart as well as from the lips, and shows itself in deeds."
- Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment