Monday, March 21, 2011

Storms of Life

Why does television and movies make thunderstorms so terrifying?  The skies are black, the clouds look like they are churning, the thunder claps often and the lightning looks like electric beams. It isn't often that we get storms like that.  But when we do, everything is on full alert.  Sometimes I sleep right through them, sometimes I sleep like my dog, with one eye open.  Just waiting for the wind to die down, the rain to quit hitting the windows, and for the flashes to stop.

When I was little we got a dog.  My dad told mom that the dog would be good for the kids because he would calm us from the storms and we would stay in bed.  That night, we had a full-blown thunder storm.  At the first clap of thunder, guess who the first one in my parents bed was?  That's right, the dog!  Now it is hysterically funny to me.  But that night was scary.  As I grew up, I learned to do what Maria the nun taught the Von Trapp kids.  "When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad."   I grew to love, but respect the storms.  We were told that the thunder was God dumping potatoes into a big wagon, just like what my grandpa did at harvest.  I comfort my kids when they were smaller that the lightning was just God taking their picture. 

Storms are a part of our life, in weather and as troublesome times.  But remember, all storms come from God.  He is the master of them.  Praise God! 

Psalm 93:3-4

 3 The seas have lifted up, LORD,
   the seas have lifted up their voice;
   the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
4 Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea—
   the LORD on high is mighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment