Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Forving and Forgetful

When I started reading Psalm 89, it was so upbeat and happy.

Psalm 89:1-8
 1 I will sing of the LORD’s great love forever;
   with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known
   through all generations.
2 I will declare that your love stands firm forever,
   that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.
3 You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
   I have sworn to David my servant,
4 ‘I will establish your line forever
   and make your throne firm through all generations.’”

 5 The heavens praise your wonders, LORD,
   your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.
6 For who in the skies above can compare with the LORD?
   Who is like the LORD among the heavenly beings?
7 In the council of the holy ones God is greatly feared;
   he is more awesome than all who surround him.
8 Who is like you, LORD God Almighty?
   You, LORD, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you. 


 But then, you get into where David is in trouble and God's favor isn't upon him anymore.


38 But you have rejected, you have spurned,
   you have been very angry with your anointed one.
39 You have renounced the covenant with your servant
   and have defiled his crown in the dust.
40 You have broken through all his walls
   and reduced his strongholds to ruins.
41 All who pass by have plundered him;
   he has become the scorn of his neighbors.
42 You have exalted the right hand of his foes;
   you have made all his enemies rejoice.
43 Indeed, you have turned back the edge of his sword
   and have not supported him in battle.
44 You have put an end to his splendor
   and cast his throne to the ground.
45 You have cut short the days of his youth;
   you have covered him with a mantle of shame. 


David starts this Psalm out right, praising God.  Then he asks him to for give him, talking to him about the punishments he has endured (but it is his own fault).  That's always the way, we want to know how long our punishment will be.  When my kids are grounded, that's the first thing they want to know.  How long will this punishment be for?  They need that hope, that light at the end of the tunnel.  Sometimes it is for a few days, sometimes weeks. But they also have to learn that we won't tolerate disobedience.  And we, as Christians need to remember the same thing.  God wants us to be trustworthy.  He wants us to obey his commands.  For me, most days it is hard.  I usually say or think or do something stupid that gets me in trouble.  Thank goodness God is forgiving and forgetful!  And with that, we can say

52"Praise be to the LORD forever!
            Amen and Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment