Monday, January 10, 2011

Gifts

When I started writing this devotion almost two eyars ago, I never thought of it as a spiritual gift.  It started as a way for me to keep others informed of how my father and mother were handling his throat cancer and documenting how our family was dealing with it.  But today, as I listened to our Associate Minister talk on the spiritual gift of prophecy, it hit me.  This devotion is kinda my gift.  It's a gift from God to me and (hopefully) in return, a gift to you. 

The spiritual gifts are important things.  You can describe them as doing what you love to do and are passionate about doing, all for bettering God's kingdom and bringing him glory.  That's a mouth full.  It should be what you are interested in and where your heart lies.  Each of us have many talents such as singing, writing, baking, teaching, encouraging, whatever you are good at.  Yes, you are good at something!  For me, I am good at music.  I have an ear for directing, helping someone with music.  I have a passion for it.  I love to learn new songs, and sing them for others, so they too may hear and understand that story that is being told.  But I also have found in the past few two years that I may just have a gift I didn't realize was a talent from God.  This one, in writing and giiving a different insight into God's Word.  That excites me! 

I am encouraged by the different encouragement I get from people.  In these busy times, it's nice to know when something I wrote has touched you and maybe drawn you closer to God.  That is what I hope, that through my words, you will be encouraged and feel closer to Him.  I'll never be a Beverly Lewis or a Gloria Gaither, but that is okay.  If I was them, then I would not be me.  God made me my own unique self.  If I was someone else, that would not be as much fun, I think.

Today I am encouraging you to step up to your passion, your talent.  Take a look at it and see what you can do to further God's kindom.  Can you make cookies and bring a smile to someone's face?  Can you help someone out by teaching a Sunday school class?  How about starting a small group Bible study?  Or just send a card to someone you noticed wasn't at church this week.  Let someone know you were thinking about that.  Using your talents will not only show someone you care, but bless you too!

I Corinthians 14:12
Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment