Thursday, September 30, 2010

How God is to Me

I am having trouble today.  I can't seem to concentrate.  But I don't know why.  It's a nice day.  Things at work are okay.  My family seems to be doing okay for the moment.  I mean, it's a good day.  It is even payday!  But, I can't set my mind on any certain idea for a devotion today.  I read Psalm 29, and it gave me an idea, but I want to wait for Christmas to do that devotion.  So you'll have to stay tuned for that.

But that does not help my present problem.  There is excitement building in my house.  It is homecoming week in  Monroe.  Last night was the powder puff football game.  Tonight is the parade and bonfire.  Tomorrow is the football game and Saturday is going to be a whirlwind of hair stylists, last minute touch-ups, pictures and fun.  It is new, exciting and the let down will be tremendous for me.  We've been building to this day for a couple of months.


That is how things go.  You build, prepare, and focus on this one thing until BOOM!  It happens.  Then you look around and realize that it is over and all you see are the remnants of eye makeup in the bathroom, with lipgloss, a faded memory of watching your child get into a car with some strange people, and you sitting up waiting for them to come home and tell you everything.  And when your kid gets back home, all you get is "It was fun.  I had a good time.  I'm tired, I'm going to bed now."  WHAT?  LOL.  I think I am starting to exaggerate.

Sometimes it feels good to get the random things off your chest.  Sometimes we just need to talk to God like this too.  A lot of people believe that we need to be reverent, quiet and full of Thees and Thous when we pray.  I agree on the reverent and quiet, but I don't speak Thee and Thou.  I want my talk with God to be like my talk with my Dad or my best friend.  I want it to be personal and from the heart.  I want my kids to not feel like God is this overpowering presence that they have to feel uncomfortable talking to and thinking about.  I want them to think about God as a friend, or the Cool Uncle we all have.  Oh, the quiet and reverence have their place and I think we all need to learn to deal with that.  But the normal everyday lives we are going through is where I want God.  Right beside me, laughing and enjoying life with me.  This is how I picture God.  How do you picture him?

No comments:

Post a Comment