Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Concerned Parenting

Psalm 21 shows a lot of confidence that King David had in God.  Do we have that kind of trust?  Probably not.  I can say that I trust in God, but how do I show it?  Do I sit around, doing nothing, waiting for God to "give" me insight or direction?  Where would this message come from?  Would I get it from reading the scriptures?  That is a yes, but for a specific task?  Am I to take a situation and make a Bible verse or verses fit around it? 

The Junior High at Monroe, specifically the 8th grade class is reading a book I deem questionable.  I am in the middle of email teachers and the principal to find out more before I judge what is actually being done and how the book is being taught.  I usually have found that if I ask a lot of questions and talk to the teachers and staff, I can discern what is an issue and what is just chatter of the kids.  Timm has told me some things in this book that I am surprised to find.  I won't mention anything about them here, but I have actually talked two at least two other children in other English classes and I am hearing the same thing from all of them.  "It's awkward."  "It's disturbing."  "...we have to be mature about this."  That raised my eyebrows and my need to question this.  It may end up being nothing.  But, I want a few things noted to the school.  a) I am aware of what is going on in the school and in classes, and b) I will ask questions and be involved in my child's academics. 

This also may be no more than what happened in the movie Footloose.  That is where a teenager from the city came to live in a small rural town in mid-Bible-belt America.  Loud music and dancing were outlawed because teens were killed coming home from a concert they snuck out to see.  I don't want to see myself as the person who starts an uproar, but I don't want the children of my community to be exposed to things that they may not be ready for.  I am going to read this book for myself too, because I want to fully understand what message this book is sending.  It may be just a few pages of thought-provoking nothing, but it may be something I want to thoroughly talk to Timm about.  I want to make sure God's ways are also seen and how this book is fiction and nothing more.  But it is cause for concern.  I just need to make sure that we make the right decision for our son.

 7 For the king trusts in the LORD;
       through the unfailing love of the Most High
       he will not be shaken. 


This verse is what I will hold on to this week as I go through this.  I trust the Lord; He will love me no matter what and I will stand firm.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment