Monday, August 3, 2009

TakeTime to Be Holy - words by William D. Longstaff
  1. Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
    Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
    Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,
    Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.
  2. Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
    Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
    By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
    Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.
  3. Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
    And run not before Him, whatever betide.
    In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
    And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.
  4. Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
    Each thought and each motive beneath His control.
    Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
    Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.
This hymn speaks to me in so many ways. Take time is how each verse begins. Do we really do that? Do we take the time to speak with God? Do we take really take time to be holy? I don't always. Sometimes my mind is elsewhere. Sometimes I can't concentrate on what is being said during Sunday school or during preaching (sorry Marty).

The second verse speaks to me as a busy wife, mother and employee. The world is rushing on and I need to spend time in secret with Jesus, praying, reading my devotion, preparing. But I always wonder, how can my children see me reading and spending time in with God in prayer and devotions if it is done in secret? I actually do realize that it really means do not make a big show of what you are doing. Sometimes though, it turns into that without you meaning it to.

Take time to read these words and evaluate your life as this song tells you. What time are you taking?

No comments:

Post a Comment