Thursday, August 27, 2009

Get Your Routine Going

Last night, the kids gave me lots of paperwork to fill out and then surprisingly, went to bed early. The excitement of the day wore them out. Mike looked at me at 9:45 and said, "I think I am going to like the kids in school." Ha, ha. I don't think it will last long. They will both be in their routine soon enough.

Routines can be good. It gives you confidence and a sense of familiarity. It also makes light of a lot of work. Routines can also be bad. You get complacent, lazy, and then you start skipping. Change in routines make for interesting times. I usually anticipate a change in routine and plan for it. I can live with that. But if it is something that I just run into, and then it keeps happening, I evaluate what is going on and if it is something I can live with or need to really change.

I knew about the summer schedule at work. I didn't have a choice and tried to adjust schedules. It was okay, but I am so ready to work 8 hours a day again. I want to be home at a decent hour with my family. I anticipated school starting and have adjusted my morning routine to include getting the kids' and Mike's lunch packed, breakfast ate and everyone up and at 'em. It is only the second day, but it is working. I didn't anticipate more vehicles on the road yesterday. I was almost late for work. So this morning, I left earlier. It's not a compromise. It is more about peace of mind and not being late.

Proverbs 14:30 A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.

I think this verse says a lot. So I think about my routine, how to make it all work and I don't get anxious or worried. I pray and talk with my husband about it when I need to. I hope you work on your routines. Add an extra time with God and fellowship and worship with your church family. We always make time for what we want to do, not what we needed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment