Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This Is How We Do It

A situation came up at work, and in my thinking, it doesn't even really mean anything.  But to someone else it may.  I had lunches to get, including drinks.  Now usually we get individual drinks.  But today's lunch meeting had 18 people in it.  That would be almost $20 for drinks, and a lot to carry.  So I opted to get 2-liters.  That cost around $8.  I was questioned on how to keep the drinks cold.  I said I put them in the freezer all morning.  I was asked the same question again, as the phone rang.  I am still not sure what was being asked because the person looked at me, stated that I didn't understand what she was saying, and she walked away.  I told her I am sorry that I did not understand.  I still am not sure and not sure what was the big deal.  I leave for lunch at 11:30.  The luncheon was not until noon.  For some strange reason, she will not let anyone else set out the lunches and drinks, unless I get it okayed.

I think there is a lot of silly rules here.  But I try and abide by them because I do not like rocking the boat.  Whether or not they are silly doesn't matter, but being legalistic is a hard thing to deal with in others.    I think we all have rules that we want followed our way.  We want things done this way because we know this way works best for us or the situation.  It may not be the only way though.  There may be something different that can be done that we did not even realize.  It could add and make better.  I try really hard to be easy-going.  Dealing with people who aren't is hard.

My son is just like me.  No, maybe he is worse.  As long as it's easy, he will do it.  I try and teach my kids that as long as it gets done, does it matter how it gets done?  Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes it matters.  Like in math class.  Math teachers always drove me crazy.  As long as I came to the right answer and showed my work, who cares if it was like the book.   

We can do lots of things many way and accomplish the goal.  Many people were and are exposed to the Gospel of Christ through different methods.  Jesus spoke to crowds, performed miracles, and spent time with people one-on-on.  We do the same.  Ministers preach to crowds, we can point out God's miracles, and we talk with individuals.  Each of us has our own unique way of getting God's love to everyone across.  Mine is singing and now, this devotion.

Romans 12:4-8
 4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,
 5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
 6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;
 7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching;
 8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness. 

So, the question is, how do you do work?  How do you spread the gospel?  Believe me, no matter what you say, you are spreading the Word even if it is just with your lives.  Remember your life maybe the only way a lot of people see Jesus and His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment