Friday, May 14, 2010

They Are Young

Jeremiah 1:4-8
4Now the word of the LORD came to me saying,
    5"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
         And before you were born I consecrated you;
         I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."
    6Then I said, "Alas, Lord GOD!
         Behold, I do not know how to speak,
         Because I am a youth."
    7But the LORD said to me,
         "Do not say, 'I am a youth,'
         Because everywhere I send you, you shall go,
         And all that I command you, you shall speak.
    8"Do not be afraid of them,
         For I am with you to deliver you," declares the LORD.


 True to my word, I started reading Jeremiah today.  I got to verse five and all these thoughts started sprinting through my brain.  Thoughts like, God knew me before I was born.  God has already set me apart.  Hey!  Jeremiah was young when he started prophesying.  Apparently, humans haven't changed much because most kids think adults won't listen too them. 

That was what struck me the most.  The youth today need some lovin'.  Yes they make mistakes.  Yes they are young and still have a lot of experience to gain.  But if the older generations do not give them a chance...who will?  God had full trust and faith in Jeremiah.  Okay, yeah, he is God and he can do all things, but he told Jeremiah he had faith in him to do the right thing.  God also said that he would save Jeremiah.    Can you be that faithful and trusting?  Even as mature adults, we are not that sure of things.   I always think that sometimes, we just don't want to show our insecurities. 

The youth of our church is our future.  Do not kid yourself into thinking that this is not true.  The elders and deacons will not be here forever.  The youth are growing up and giving them some support and listening to their ideas is not such a bad thing.  God will use them, but he wants to use you too.  You have to be the mentor for them.You have to be the Paul to their Timothy.  The Naomi to their Ruth.  Talk to your Youth Leaders about getting involved.  Help mold the youth of today to be the leaders of tomorrow.  God will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment