Thursday, May 20, 2010

Get Back At Them

Are you a vengeful person?  Do you want to get back at someone who does you wrong?  I am not, usually.  It takes a lot to get me to that point.  Once I am there and rage war against my enemy, I do not feel the satisfaction of it.  My guilt takes over that I performed an act to bring my anger out on someone.  I don't know if it was the way I was raised or if it is something in my character, but I don't like getting back at people.  I would rather keep turning the other cheek, even when I run out of cheeks.

 I was reading this passage and came across this verse.  Paul was writing a letter to Timothy and giving an account of what had happened.  I don't know what this man did, but Paul was upset.  Here is what he said about it.

2 Timothy 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm; the Lord will repay him according to his deeds.

Paul knew that no matter what he did, it would not be worse than was the Lord would do.  He left this up to the Lord.  The self control that Paul showed inspires me to be the same.  A lot of people do not understand this way of thinking.  They think that they have to do the eye-for-an-eye and it be over and done.  The Lord has told us not to do that.

Romans 12:19
Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, " VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.

You can show your anger, sure.  The Lord showed his in the Temple.  But to willfully bring your own kind of revenge against someone because you feel slighted or hurt shows signs of immaturity and evilness in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment