Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Psalm 119: 9 - 16

I like this set of verses.  Verse nine is one we seem to struggle with every day.  With books, television, movies, songs, every media source you can think of, plus the influence of friends and family, my teens are always bombarded, no matter how short the leash is.  As parents, we talk, we listen, we try to teach them what is appropriate, what is right and what is wrong.  But I have a child that has a mind of his own and sometimes he doesn't always think when he talks.  He tells it like he thinks it is.  That is fine, but sometimes it's not what is acceptable to society.  As a parent, it amazes me how his mind works.  I pray every day that he won't say or do something that will offend others, but I do tell him that his mouth will get him in trouble.  It has several times this year.  I try to explain to him that free speech isn't really free speech.  It's free only if you say what is acceptable.  I think though, he has to learn a lot of this for himself.  He's that kind of kid.  I just cover both my teenagers in prayer and this verses give me the strength to keep reminding and teaching them of God's commandments.

 9How can a young man keep his way pure?
         By keeping it according to Your word.
    10With all my heart I have sought You;
         Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
    11Your word I have treasured in my heart,
         That I may not sin against You.
    12Blessed are You, O LORD;
         Teach me Your statutes.
    13With my lips I have told of
         All the ordinances of Your mouth.
    14I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
         As much as in all riches.
    15I will meditate on Your precepts
         And regard Your ways.
    16I shall delight in Your statutes;
         I shall not forget Your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment