Thursday, November 11, 2010

Your Freedom Depended on them.



I see people everyday that are rude, mean, and selfish.  I try very hard not to be, but some days being rude is second nature.  We are in our own little worlds, doing our own thing, just trying to make it.  But if you have never been in the military, or every had a loved own that has served in the military, then you are aware of the sacrifice.

Right now my step-daughter is in the Navy.  She is 23 years old, stationed in Norfolk, VA.  Any time we have with her is short.  A co-worker of mine is in the Army, she is 19 and stationed in Texas.  She just left a month ago.  Luckily, she is planning to surprise her mother by being home Thanksgiving Day.  Both families feel lucky that the girls are in the U.S.A.  We could be on pins and needles every day, wondering if they are safe, healthy or in danger.

Today, I have been asking all my co-workers if they have been in the military.  So far, the answer has been one yes and three no.  I thanked the one and talked to the others about it.  Each time I know of someone, I am going to thank them for their service.  I read somewhere that just that acknowledgment means more to most Veterans than anything else.

Last Saturday, the Retirement Village in our town had a very small and brief service.  The marching band played "The Star Spangled Banner" around the flag pole.  Before that happened, a group from the Corvette Club picked up the grand marshalls and brought them through in parade form.  Then each one was helped out, put in a wheel chair and brought over to the same area.  It was nice to see them honored.  Allie and the other girls were in their white skirts and it was a cold.  One of the sweet, little old lady sat behind them and was asking questions.  It amused Allie a lot.  One thing the little old lady said was "Why are those girls in skirts?  It is cold!  They are crazy!"   Allie giggled at that.

But the band playing just that one song meant a lot to the crowd that gathered to watch the raising of the flag, hear the 21-gun salute, and also Taps.  It is so sad, that so many are gone, but never the less, I am thankful for those past, present, and even future soldiers.  Today, thank a Veteran.  Hug those you know and love.  Your freedom depended on them!

This song I am posting is called Arlington.  Trace Adkins, a country singer, sings this song.  I fell in love with it the first time I heard it.

Arlington lyrics
Songwriters: Turnbull, Dave; Spillman, Jeremy N;I never thought that this is where I'd settle down
I thought I'd die an old man back in my hometown
They gave me this plot of land
Me and some other men
For a job well done

There's a big white house, sits on a hill, just up the road
The man inside, he cried the day they brought me home
They folded up a flag
And told my mom and dad
"We're proud of your son"

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property
I'm on sacred ground, and I'm in the best of company
I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done
I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones
I made it to Arlington

I remember Daddy brought me here when I was eight
We searched all day to find out where my granddad lay
When we finally found that cross
He said "Son, this is what it costs
To keep us free"

Now here I am, a thousand stones away from him
He recognized me on the first day I came in
And it gave me a chill
When he clicked his heels
And saluted me

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property
I'm on sacred ground, and I'm in the best of company
And I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done
I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones
I made it to Arlington

And every time I hear twenty-one guns
I know they brought another hero home to us

We're thankful for those thankful for the things we've done
We can rest in peace, 'cause we are the chosen ones
We made it to Arlington

Yeah, dust to dust
Don't cry for us
We made it to Arlington

No comments:

Post a Comment