Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thank Offerings

I loved reading Psalm 50.  It is like God is speaking directly to the saved and the unsaved.  The writer tells us that God doesn't need our sacrifices.  He isn't like us.  But what he wants from his children is  “Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High, and call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” (Psalm 50:14 - 15)  He wants us to give him thank offerings. 

What is a thank offering?  It may also called a peace offering.  Dr. William Smith says that "The general principle of the peace offering seems to have been that it should be entirely spontaneous, offered as occasion should arise, from the feeling of the sacrificer himself."  I kinda like this, but just when the occasion arises?  I hope thanking God and praising him is a normal, everyday occurrence for us.  But to be spontaneous about it is even better.  When a situation you have been praying about turns out better than you had hoped, stop right then a thank God.  When you are down, or lonely, offer up thanks to God.  Just remember someone is in worse shape.  So pray for them too.

What is your thank offering?  Is it just a prayer?  Can it be an action of love?  Maybe you can be a blessing to someone else.  Then they can have a thank offering of their own.  Just remember that it doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out prayer or a beautifully written song.  It just has to be from the heart and spontaneous.  If you offer up a praise to God, here is what he says in verse 23:  "Those who sacrifice thank offerings honor me,  and to the blameless I will show my salvation.”

My thank offering is a special prayer for all of you who read this.  May your day be full of peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment