Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stories from the Past

Do you remember listening to your grandparents' stories?  Actually, they weren't really stories, they were insights into the past.  Your past.  Each stories had a character that was funny, scary or sad.  My grandfather told of farming.  My grandmother told of canning, freezing, illnesses and caring for others.  My point is, that if you listened to the tales your grandparents told, you also learned that their faith in God, each other, and country is what saw them through the lean years and kept them going. 

I learned politics from them.  I learned to love gardening, love my church, and be silly.  My faith in God and myself comes from my ancestors and the strong commitment they had.  Thank you for being a part of that.


My kids sometimes complain that I tell the same stories over and over.  Well, I may do that.  But to get across what I want them to know, I drive that point home.  They may not understand it now, but someday they will (I hope).  I know someday they will remember something I said to them, and take that advice.

Psalm 44:1
 1O God, we have heard with our ears,
         Our fathers have told us
         The work that You did in their days,
         In the days of old. 



No comments:

Post a Comment