Thursday, October 7, 2010

Music for All

I am very musical.  Most everything that is important to me has to do with music.  I associate songs to feelings, to actions, to memories, to movies, to most everything.  It is nothing for me to just breakout into a song and my kids start hollering for me to stop.  I don't think it's because my singing is bad either.  I think they don't understand. 

Music is a gift from God.  Whether you have talent to sing, play and instrument or if you are in the audience to just enjoy the concert, God gave us music.  King David was very musical.  He loved to play the harp and many songs in the Bible were written by him.   I Chronicles 6:31 - 33 tells that David even had men who he put in charge of the music in front of the Tent of Meeting. 


 31 These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the LORD after the ark came to rest there. 32 They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the LORD in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.
 33 Here are the men who served, together with their sons:
      From the Kohathites:
       Heman, the musician,
       the son of Joel, the son of Samuel,


In 1 Chronicles 25:6 - 7, it says the sons of Heman were there to exalt him.  All Heman's fourteen sons were musical.  That must have been quite a band!

5 All these were sons of Heman the king's seer. They were given him through the promises of God to exalt him. God gave Heman fourteen sons and three daughters.  6 All these men were under the supervision of their fathers for the music of the temple of the LORD, with cymbals, lyres and harps, for the ministry at the house of God. Asaph, Jeduthun and Heman were under the supervision of the king. 7 Along with their relatives—all of them trained and skilled in music for the LORD -they numbered 288. 

For me, music is just my way of talking to God.  It is something that I love and it is something that I use to express myself and feelings of my life about.  Everyone needs that kind of outlet.  For some it is building and using their hands.  For some, it is speaking or drawing, or painting.  Whatever it is, I firmly believe that if you don't use it, you will loose it.  I pray that I will use my singing more and that God won't take that talent from me.  But if he does, I'll be content, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment