Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stormy Calmness

Today we are in the eye of the storm. Many instances in the Bible, a story has a storm in it.  Jonah was running away from his calling and God had a storm come up on the ship.  Jonah knew that the storm was for him.  He convinced the sailors to throw him overboard and all was calm.  Jesus was asleep in the boat and his followers became frightened because of a storm.  They woke Jesus up and he calmed the storm.  Paul was on a ship that a storm blew in on and the men on that boat became shipwrecked. 

Right now, I am calm.  The house is quiet, except for the washer and tv.  The sky looks gray and the cement is wet.  It is a good day to hide under the covers and sleep.  But that will not be happening.  There is a few errands to run, packing to do and keeping Allie happy (that is a full time job today, I think).

Last night, Allie and I were talking about when and what she was allowed to eat.  She asked, "When is the last time I can eat food?"

I replied, "Six A.M.  Some people told me they would wake up just to eat."

She looked at me and said, "Forget that!"

That's what I thought.  She is allowed to have clear liquids and jello until ten A.M.  She is fine with that.  Until she smells real food.  Then all bets are off.

But God will be here with us all day.  He will call out to us, "PEACE!"  I hope that whether we hear Him or not, his calming effect will seep into our minds, hearts, and nerves.  When I get so nervous I can't remember my own address and phone number, I always remember Psalm 23.

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.
He maketh me lie down in the green pastures,
He leadeth me beside the still waters,
He restoreth my soul.
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of death,
I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

You prepareth a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anointeth my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The highlighted section is what I always remember.  I love that God leads me beside quiet waters.  I use to love going into my grandparents woods and down to the creek.  I didn't do it very often, but there were these huge trees and it was quiet and shadowy and the creek was hardly a little trickle of water.  But it made me feel calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment