Monday, July 25, 2011

Sharing Contentment.

Yesterday, our speaker at church was Larry Holmes.  He gave a great message on being happy with what you have and how to keep yourself content.  I really enjoyed the message and this is what I took away from it.

Do you have all you want?  Are you always wanting more?  Everyone wants to take it easy, make a large sum of money and then make the rest of their life easy?  It is not all fun and games for anyone.  But it's all in your attitude.  Do you worry only about you and your family or do you worry about others?  Life isn't so easy for everyone, is it?   God wants us to share ourselves, our wealth, and our love.

In Luke 12:13-21, Jesus tells a story about a rich young man who has a large harvest.    He gets more and realizes he needs to build bigger barns to store it all.  Now I ask myself, why does one young man need that much?  If you have a great harvest, what will you do?  Will you put it up and save it for later?  There is nothing wrong with that.  Right now, I am waiting for my harvest of vegetables from the garden to come in.  But, I have not had a good harvest in a while, so I will put up a lot of tomatoes and beans.  But, I will also share.  I have friends who need and I want to share with.  I am content that God will bless me with an abundance that I can share with others.  I don't want to be greedy.  I want to help out my neighbor with what I have. But your harvest doesn't have to be food.  It can be your knowledge, clothes, whatever your talent is. I want to please God.  I want to know I did all for my fellow man that I can.

Luke 12:21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment