Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Teach Your Children Well

Joel 1:3
"Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and thier children another generation."

Joel was prophesying about the invasion of his land and how terrible things were.  When I start talking to my kids about things that happened when I was younger, (and I'm not old!), they just roll their eyes at me and say "Here we go."   Sometimes they think I am trying to play down their situation.  I try really hard not to do that.  I try to let them know that they are not alone and others have gone through this situation or something similar. 

God wants us to tell our kids of everything going on.  We are to talk to them of the Lord and what he has done for us.  We are to live our lives so that everyone (not just our kids) will know we are not of this world.  We are to be examples of Christians.  But it's okay to let them see you fail.  To let them see how to forgive, how to forget, and how to be apart of something bigger than themselves.  I try to show them that everyday we are to be sincere, truthful, loving, kind, long-suffering...you know the fruits of the spirit.  Some of these things I am better at than others.  I keep working the ones I need to work on, and I hope they see that too.

I believe that your house is where you are the worst, but you should try and be your best.  If your children see your worst side all the time, how are they going to ever learn the correct way to do things?  Start in the home, that's where all things of importance should start.  Attend church, let them see you reading your Bible or a devotion, but let them know this is your time with God.  Give them something to think about.

Most importantly, talk to your children.  Have normal conversations about them and their day.  Show them you are interested in them and their lives.  Not as to what can they do for you, but what they want, their hopes and dreams.  Ask them about Sunday school and camp.  Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment